Few Quick Facts On
- In Japanese, Japan is called Nihon and Go means language – Nihongo means Japanese language
- Nihongo or Japanese is spoken by 130 million people around the word and is the 9th most commonly spoken language on the planet.
- There is a general notion that Japanese is one of the toughest languages. However, the following characteristics make it interesting- no gender in Japanese, no difference between singular and plural, no verb conjugation, no articles and it is not hard to pronounce.
- The Japaneselanguage uses three different systems of writing. There are two syllabaries—hiragana and katakana, they are phonetic alphabets. There are also kanji, which is a writing system based on Chinese characters.
- The Japanese people are known for their politeness and it reflects in their language as well. Special grammatical forms and vocabulary are used to show respect. For example, the magnificent Mount Fuji is called as Fuji San.
- Countries like the USA and UK take great interest in Japanese Language & Culture. Some of the Japanese words are recognized by English too. These words include karaoke, tofu, anime, origami, etc